Monday, March 26, 2012

Wedding Present Horseshoe Tavern Toronto March 25, 2012

Got myself together and headed down to the Wedding Present concert at the Horseshoe Tavern. This was I think part of Canadian Music Week. The band is touring during the release of their latest album Valentina. However, this show was put on to perform their classic 1991 album Seamonsters in its entirety. Gauging the age of the crowd which was predominantly (90%) male in their 40s, I'm assuming this show was targeting that demographic. The band has been around since 1985 but the only longstanding original member is David Gedge. Thanks to Allison of Panic Manual for getting me in to the very busy and potentially sold out show. I even got to meet David Gedge but for me that really means just shaking his hand and having no real clue of what to say. Damn, if I were to meet my fave band Saint Etienne I wouldn't even know what to say.

Two bands opened up. The first band was Toquiwa, formerly known as the Pinky Piglets. I'm completely confused if this was actually two bands as half of the members performed the first part of the show and then the other 1/2 joined later. An all female band four member band from Japan. I would describe their music indie noise rock. Definately entertaining. They even covered the Wedding Present song Kennedy.

Second band was Jet Age which was quite a rocky alternative rock band.

Wedding Present came on about 10:30 and played for about 90 minutes. They opened up their set with a mixture of new stuff/old stuff, the Cinerama track Quick, Before It Melts, and then into Seamonsters. I'm actually a huge Cinerama fan moreso than a Wedding Present fan so was happy to get a Cinerama track.

Here is what the crowd said last night (not many tweeters though)

Toquiwa/Pinky Piglets

@Lam_Chop Was asked 2 photograph Pinky Piglets @CMW2012 tonite by @fakesporttrivia, but Mad Men premiers 2nite.Hhmm,Jap rocker chicks or Don Draper... (IKDK: I'm thinking Don Draper won out)

@APTtheshow: Gonna close out #CMW2012 tonight with Japanese lady rockers Pinky Piglets at the Horseshoe.

@ZeDbra_Borg: Just saw pinky piglets at the horse shoe, they came from Japan and rocked so hard! #didn'tunderstandaword (IKDK: Neither could we!!)

Jet Age

Nobody tweeted :(

Wedding Present

@IKvsDK: Wedding Present #horseshoe #sundaynight #janglepop

@CalandraBond: Off to see The Wedding Present at #thehorseshoetavern !

@ohbabygiraffe: The wedding present are awesome. How am I going to get home. Oh well. (IKDK: Yes, a fairly late show for a Sunday night)

@Meg_OToole: I seem to (not infrequently) end up at concerts where the crowd is mostly men in their early forties. Interesting.

@Meg_OToole @SeanPhotos "Wedding Present" - great live!


2 comments:

Dunstan said...

I love Cinerama's cover of Groovejet's "If This Ain't Love"

Djanger said...

Crazy. Never heard that cut before. Nice track. It's off a Peel Session...