Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Drums Craft Spells Part Time Phoenix Concert Theatre Toronto April 27, 2012



Friday night out in Toronto and three great bands (1 new, two old) at the Phoenix Concert Theatre. Made it to the Phoenix for 7:30 to grab prime seats on the balcony so there would be no standing for 4 hours.



Live Nation had the setlists switched up and Part Time started before Craft Spells which was what I was originally expecting. Part Time, who I'd never heard before, were fantastic which lead me to searchdown their one album called What Would You Say on Mexican Summer. I was thinking a very indie Prefab Sprout as I listened to their 30 minute set.



Next up was Craft Spells. This was the second time I'd seen this Captured Tracks band. They are touring on the strength of their first album Idle Labor and the brand new EP due out in May called Gallery. Nice 30 minute set from the band with kind banted about likeing visiting Toronto. One true supporter danced through the whole set as the sea of dead still people watched. It took the big single After the Moment to get the crowd to show some emotion. Great set and a nice teaser for Gallery.



Finally up was the Drums touring on the strength of their second album Portamento. Our friends at Panic Manual didn't like this album but we give it a thumbs up here at IKDK. I have to say the lead singer of the Drums has some very interesting shimmy shake dance moves. A nice hour long set which featured a mix of tracks from the two albums. Had good company this concert with some interesting music loving folk (and maybe alittle intoxicated) sitting at my table and discussing music and trying to buy me drinks all night. There are some quirky but friendly people still left in Toronto. The balcony at the Phoenix actually turned into alittle bit of a dance floor upstairs which was cool although the slow dancing by one couple seemed alittle akward and abit like high school all over again. The night ended with the ever popular Let's Go Surfing and a crowd all ramped up and dancing.

After a long week at work I was able to be home before Midnight. I love the Phoenix Concert Theatre. It's starting to be my number one venue to see shows at.

This is what the twitter world said about the show:

Part Time

@IKvsDK: Part time up first #phoenix #jangily #good

@IKvsDK: Part Time just sold me #phoenix #amazing

@acidsunny: They are Part time! Opening band is great!!! @ Phoenix Concert Theatre

Craft Spells

@IKvsDK: Craft Spells #phoenix #capturedtracks #nice

@dklamba: "i want to put him in my pockeeett" -karam talking about the @craft_spells lead singer.

@rob_duffy: Craft Spells opening for The Drums and sounding even better than that time I bought their tshirt last summer.

@VnicioB: Loved the show! I thought that @craft_spells' music would not sound the same live but I was wrong.. sounds crazier! thanks guys!

The Drums

@Heather_Horton: The Drums tonight in #Toronto. Great show! Long live good music....:)

@tonnim: Whoop! The Drums at the Phoenix

‏@IKvsDK: Drums #phoenix #fastforward @ineska: Gone surfing with the Drums.

Craft Spells remixing The Drums track Money. The best of both worlds:
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7BxzgiKpg

No comments: