Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jesus And Mary Chain Phoenix Concert Theatre Toronto August 3, 2012


I have to admit its alittle annoying when your friend shoves his iphone in front of you at the beginning of the concert and says here is the setlist; they play the same thing everynight. Where is the magic in that? Another friend who saw them in Hong Kong also recently exclaimed to me that they play the same setlist so why would he want to go to the Toronto show. Glad the Chain proved them wrong.

The Jesus and Mary Chain brought the magic back last night with a slightly altered setlist for Toronto and a guest vocalist in Jessica Pare on Sometimes Always. The band played just over 60 minutes of their patented fuzzy guitar shoegazing rock to a capacity crowd at the Phoenix Concert Theatre.

Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the show was challenged midway by some short hairy netheanderal ape who wanted to push his way in front of me and bump into all sorts of people. I pushed him aside at one point as he kept bumping me and he looked at me as if I had destroyed his world. Of course, he didn't stop and ended up moving in front of me and then farther up. Glad I didn't push him again as he started to pick up things and throw them at William Reed. At this point I came to the conclusion that he may not be stable. How this guy had a girlfriend (who was with him) is beyond me.

After this unfortunate painful sequence, I got back to enjoying an amazing show. The band tackled material from across all their albums.

Here was the Setlist:
1.Snakedriver (Sound Of Speed EP)
2.Head On (Automatic)
3.Far Gone and Out (Honey's Dead)
4.Between Planets (Automatic)
5.Blues From A Gun (Automatic)
6.Teenage Lust (Honey's Dead)
7.Cracking Up (Munki)
8.All Things Must Pass (Heroes Soundtrack)
9.Some Candy Talking (Some Candy Talking EP)
10.Happy When It Rains (Darklands)
11.Halfway to Crazy (Automatic)
12.Just Like Honey (Psychocandy)
13.Sometimes Always (Stoned And Dethroned)
14.Reverence (Honey's Dead)
Encore:
15.The Hardest Walk (Psychocandy)
16.Taste Of Cindy (Psychocandy)
17.Never Understand (Psychocandy)
Encore 2:
18.Sidewalking (Barbed Wire Kisses Sidewalking EP)

Here is what the crowd said:

Nightbox (Openers)
Caught alittle bit of the opener. They weren't bad at all but not everyone shared our opinions

@sararose66: On rout to nightbox gig #YesPlease

@imacgill: Interesting choice to open for J&MC. Toronto/Ireland dance band Nightbox. Sound a lot like Friendly Fires.

@Going4theGreen:Now officially think the opening band at jamc show is cheeseball. Called nightbox, dangerously close to night ranger.

@mechamoney: Closing track = epic drumming. Great jorb @nightbox !

Jesus And Mary Chain

@imacgill: At The Phoenix (my 2nd home) chatting to my favorite bartender and awaiting The Jesus And Mary Chain. (IKDK: Ian of Aural Report http://iauralreport.blogspot.ca/)

@IKvsDK: Jesus and the mary chain #rewind #phoenix

@aeudet: The Jesus and Mary Chain time!!!

@lokin8 Excited, feel like I'm 12 again

‏@stuberman The benefits of Jesus and Mary Chain hiring John Kastner as their guitar tech: you get Jessica Pare singing back-ups on Just Like Honey

@JennBarnesy: The Jesus & Mary Chain: Guy beside me is doing a variation on "the monkey" and having the time of his life!

@TheMegNog: Jesus and Mary Chain just blew my fucking mind! INCREDIBLE.

cherylesque: Toronto Jesus And Mary Chain show. Infinitely better than last night's show in Buffalo. Sometimes Always! And I had earplugs this time.

@lisa TTRO: Only Hope Sandoval should be allowed to sing this Jesus and Mary Chain song

@AaronAStanford: Saw The Jesus and MaryChain tonight. They delivered. By the second encore the entire audience was one collective morphine overdose :)

End this with sharing my favourite JAMC track.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLdlGceO8aE

No comments: