Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Oh Canada! Metric, Hot Hot Heat, Broken Social Scene

Big thanks to Josh for providing me with a warm welcome to IDKD. I know Josh through my brother, who has my undying respect for naming Joy Division as his favourite band of all time. If you don't know much about Josh, here's a fact -- he bleeds music. I imagine if you cut him it would sound something like the Smiths but I have never dared to find out (I also imagine Josh would get quite angry if you tried to cut him).

Anyhow I've decided to look back across the pond at three Canadian artists that have new albums coming out soon.

Metric - Help I'm Alive

First up we've got the new single from Metric from their upcoming album Fantasies. Their guitar-driven indie rock and Emily Haines's distinctive voice makes for a great sound. If their last two albums are anything to go by, expect another strong album from them.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtA7YIFapnY



Hot Hot Heat - Let Me In

British Columbia's Hot Hot Heat burst onto the scene with their first full-length release Make Up the Breakdown. Since then they have developed their sound and are set to release a new album this calendar year. The video here is taken from their most recent album Happiness Ltd.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRi5LF1cQgQ



Broken Social Scene

Okay... slight cheat here, I don't think Broken Social Scene have an album coming out soon... but this is a fun video. Broken Social Scene are a Canadian music collective comprising members from various bands (including Stars, Metric and Do Make Say Think).

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMEXz_YOCI

2 comments:

Jennifer Noble said...

Awesome! Three of my fave bands and they all deserve to be mentioned as part of our amazing Canadian talent pool. Death to Nickelback!

Djanger said...

What a great first single by Metric. Sweet!!