Monday, June 20, 2011

Twin Shadow Lee's Palace June 18th, 2011 Toronto NXNE


Rushed up from the Horseshoe to ensure myself a spot at the Twin Shadow concert. It was close. Unfortunately missed the Wild Nothing show waiting in line outside of Lee's. Lots of people wanted to get into this show and the line up was 1/2 the way down the block.

Scenario One
Bouncer caught two people trying to bud in with friends in line. This is what ensued.
Bouncer to group of people: "Do you think the people behind you appreciate this"
IKDK (Thinking): Wait for it Wait for it.
On cue, guy turns to IKDK and asks: Do you mind my friends budding in.
IKDK (Friendly response): Don't ask me that question right in front of the bouncer. I, myself, won't get in. Guy leaves line with friends and goes to the end of the line.

Scenario Two
By 11:00 oclock I had made it almost to the front of the line and suddenly there is this young girl just in front of me trying to stand in the line. I ask her do you realize alot of people have been waiting along time in line to try to get into this show. The young girl then starts to give us a sob story bout her friends being inside and almost crying to let her stay. Given that one person could potentially make or break me getting into the show I move in front of her and tell her to work it out with the people behind me who are obviously alittle more sympathetic then me as they let her stay.

I'm lucky to get inside the jammed venue just as Twin Shadow starts their show. I give up on looking for El Lobo who is obviously buried somewhere deep in the bar. I'm almost run over by an arrogant american (1/2 of the band Cults) who is more concerned at getting his drinks back to his posse then people in front of him. I note others like myself dive out of the way as he steamrolls forward. Rude. Jackass.

However that can't stop the epicness of Twin Shadow who are amazing. Lots of NRG and lots of conversation back and forth during the 40 minute set between the crowd and the lead man as they play alot of stuff from their great Forget album. Another highlight of NXNE and this is what Toronto said:

@RellaC: @emarchak I need to go over my plan and figure out how to be at the twin shadow show so that I can get in. Also omg all night bender. (IKDK: True, only lineup I faced during the whole of NXNE)

@WoodandWires: @KATEKILGOUR anyone else to see after Twin Shadow maybe? at the same venue? (IKDK: HAHA Nice!)

@ivana_write: @tcote Wild Nothing / Twin Shadow at Lee's. However, line up very long :(

@kindest_regards: In line for Twin Shadow but might change direction at the door and go to Dance Cave instead. #iampathetic (IKDK: Oh No!!!)

@kindest_regards: Almost decided not to see Twin Shadow tonight. Fuck, that would've been a huge mistake.(IKDK: Good Move!)

@Busta_: Crowd is pushing us up against people who don't shower at lee's for twin shadow #Nxne (IKDK: they probably do but are all sweaty from the Men Without Hats show)

@physicsandbeer: Twin Shadow at Lee's Palace bringing the house dzown!
 
@katmcmorrow: Twin shadow is out of control amazing!!! #NXNE2011

@em_nemtin: Mega babe band part deux. Twin Shadow

@ivana_write: Twin Shadow just said "you guys look more like a New York summer than New York." #NXNE

@sabletoothtiger: DUDE. twin shadow can shred. perfection. #nxne

@Eric_Blaze: Twin Shadow rocking a bottle of straight rum on stage. Respect.  

@marqchris: Twin Shadow #nxne people are actually dancing

@ivana_write: Twin Shadow, charasmatic and talkative; using every Toronto cliche as a reference. #NXNE

@imacgill: Surprising...or not. Twin Shadow may have been the best live act I have seen at #nxne Bloc Party should take notes.

@alltheworldsapg: Twin Shadow rocked the socks off Lee's Palace. They definitely won me over.

@markmarkolios: Twin Shadow destroyyyyy

@GracieCarroll: Twin Shadow. So good. Brave, bravo. #nxne

@random_apathy: Twin Shadow. Holy shit. Favourite #NXNE performance. George Lewis Jr., may be a god.

@modern_heritage: line ups around the block for Lee's Palace. sad to miss WILD NOTHING & TWIN SHADOW but happy to have rocked the italian street festival

@IKvsDK: Just got twin shadowed #nxne #lees up next memoryhouse.



Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Prh_nE5SFk

No comments: